Ancestors of Granville Brian Chetwynd-Stapylton
Granville Brian Chetwynd-Stapylton
Birth: 11 Dec 1858 at 5.30am - Malden, Surrey.
Christening: 9 Jan 1859 - Malden, Surrey.
Death: 29 Oct 1902 - the Old Rectory, Hallaton, Leicestershire
Burial: 1 Nov 1902 - Malden, Surrey
Cause of Death:
Father: Canon William Chetwynd-Stapylton
Mother: Elizabeth Biscoe Tritton
Spouses and Children
1. *Elizabeth(Kitty) Routledge
Marriage: 15 Dec 1885 - Chetwynd/Fruitland Park, Florida, USA
1. Lady Ella Mabel Chetwynd-Stapylton JP
2. Colonel Granville Brian Chetwynd-Stapylton C.B.,O.B.E.,T.D.
Attended Haileybury College where he was an Honours student particularly interested in geology and drama.
He appeared on the census on 3 April 1881 in Malden,Surrey.
Enumerated as a commercial clerk to a colonial broker in London in 1881.
Emigrated to Florida,USA, in 1881.New York Herald Tribune, Saturday, November 26, 1881, page 5, cited a list, "Passengers Arrived from Liverpool by steamship Gallia,." a ship of the Norwegian Cunard fleet. G. Stapylton was one of the over 200 passengers that had endured the 11 day trip. Another week or so later he landed on Florida's eastern shore destined for the third leg on the St. Johns and Ocklawaha Rivers to Fruitland Park.
With reference to the Revd. Chetwynd-Stapylton's involvement with the promotion of his son's venture in Florida,USA,we refer you to the following:
A pamphlet produced by the company Ford, Rathbone & Co or the American Colonisation Co, encouraging young men to go to the States, Canada and Tasmania, for training in agriculture. Various editions of "Practical suggestions as to Instruction in Farming in Canada and the North West, and the United States of America and Tasmania" were produced and some are available to read on the internet, eg.www.archive.org/stream/cihm_28787#page/n5/mode/2up <http://www.archive.org/stream/cihm_28787. This link is to the 14th ed. of 1885, and gives an idea of the arrangements which were made for the young lads, and testimonials and an idea of the attitudes of the time. On page 2 of the pamphlet (page 9/77 on the image) The Rev. Canon W Chetwynd-Stapylton of Malden Vicarage, Worcester Park, Surrey and many others are shown as "Gentlemen" known to Ford, Rathbone who will give references.
In Feb1885 Granville Brian C-S became an American citizen.
In the same year he married Elizabeth Routledge in the sitting room of her brother,James's house.A Methodist minister,Isaac Vandewater officiated.
In 1889 Granville founded the village of Chetwynd and Fruitland Park.He started citrus farming and became a property developer.
A map of the area may be found in www.thechetwyndchronicles.com in the archive for Jan 2013.The author of the Chronicles is Donna Bott.
The community of Chetwynd was established several miles north of Fruitland Park,to the north of what is now Lake Ella.
Granville Chetwynd Stapylton,who headed the company of Stapylton & Co.,purchased 160 acres of land for 250 dollars on Skillet Pond,later renamed Zephyr Lake.
Until a church could be built,the Holy Trinity Episcopal Mission was established.The first service was held there in December 1886.
The site on which the Trinity Church now stands was finally decided upon on 28 Jan. 1887.
Fund raising started and a bazaar was organised by the Rev.Canon William Chetwynd- Stapylton(father of Granville Chetwynd Stapylton)which contributed,not insignificantly(approx.2500dollars ), to the funds required.
The church was completed by July 1889.Records show that the first senior warden was Granville Chetwynd
During the late1860's "citrus fever" struck Florida.This lasted until 1894 when the Great Freeze struck the region which caused the devastation of the industry.Farmers lost everything in this great disaster and people left the area in droves to seek their fortunes elsewhere.The settlement of Chetwynd disappeared.
A note from Donna Bott,writing in The Chetwynd Chronicles in Jan 2013(www.thechetwyndchronicles.com);While searching for kith and kin at genealogybank.com I decided to check up on Mr. Granville Chetwynd-Stapylton yet another time. I was not disappointed. The Press Horticulturalist of Riverside, California, published an article by J. [sic] C. Stapylton, April 22, 1893,The Banks and Orange Marketing in Florida. Stapylton formed the first bank in Leesburg in 1886 and, at the time of this writing, was growing in stature as a banker.
After the frosts of 1894/5 Granville and Elizabeth moved to Cuba where he was involved in establishing the Ocala Colony and,we believe,he was also in banking.
Owing to poor health,Granville returned to Leatherhead in Surrey.
Died of tuberculosis at The Rectory,Hallaton,his family home,in 1902 at the age of 44.
A memorial service was held in St. James Church.
Holy Trinity Church,Fruitland Park still exists.The centenary of it's establishment was celebrated in 1988.This was attended by Stella Longridge on behalf of the Gillett /Chetwynd-Stapylton families.
DRS Bott writes that for nearly 80 years Holy Trinity stood alone on a hill where,to the west,one could see Spring Lake peeking through the pines.In 1924 the bell tower,which never housed a bell,was removed.Over the years additions have been made to the church and surrounds.Today the church stands,not only to as the spiritual home of past,present and future saints but symbolically as the only remaining building of a British Colony that once was the Colony of Chetwynd.
Stapylton's sub division at Lake Ella is today developed with homes primarily on the east side of the lake.The area to the east that was the proposed town of Dundee,is developed almost to US Route441/27.Homes with large gardens lie to the west of the Sub Division on Lake Ella road,once calld Sand Mountain road.
The information about the church and Stapylton's sub-division was also obtained from The Chetwynd Chronicles,published by DRS Bott in 2013.
Brief Additional Facts About Holy Trinity Church
December 31, 2014 by Donna Bott,commenting in The Chetwynd Chronicles.
The article by Paul W. Wehr, cited below, provides a couple of interesting statistics pertinent to Holy Trinity's first years of existence.
Grace Chapel in Fruitland Park had a membership of 40 prior to the founding of Holy Trinity in 1886. Wehr says that because Holy Trinity was built between the two colonies of Chetwynd and Fruitland Park, Grace Chapel was no longer necessary.
When the congregation moved into its new church in 1889, it numbered four families, 64 baptized members, and 55 communicants. Membership remained stable until 1896 or just following the two devastating freezes of 1894 and 1895. Archdeacon John H. Weddell wrote, We feeling the result of last winter's disaster. The population has become more than ever migratory. The losses of the people in material resources have told upon the work in most all the missions in small towns and villages having a country constituency. The effect is seen not only in the reduced financial strength, but in the reduced number of the membership that has survived. . .
In 1897 Holy Trinity' congregation numbered 30; the following year, 20. Yet it survived through the efforts of the faithful few, and it still worships in the same church today